Welcome to the Bird Photography Contest 2017 !
Birds-i-view calls on Visitors to Sri Lanka to put nature in the frame. Whether you're
young, old, professional or amateur, we'd like to see work that raises awareness of the
beauty and fragility of Birds of Sri Lanka.
The Contest is open exclusively to overseas Nationals & Sri Lankans residing overseas &
visiting the island between July 2016 and August 2017.
The contest aims to encourage and disseminate knowledge about Sri Lankan birds, while at the
same time inspiring creativity in the art of photography. To these ends, its focus is on
photography that is ethical, grounded in the utmost respect for the conservation of birds
and their habitats, and without unnecessary digital manipulation.
Along with this Contest, Birds-i-view will establish a fund to raise international awareness
of the beauty and fragility of Birds of Sri Lanka.
The winning images will be chosen by a panel of 3 esteemed judges.
Trophy + Air Ticket (Economy Class) to Sri Lanka (Maximum of SLR 100,000)
+7 days of stay for a double at Villa Escondite.
Air Ticket (Economy Class) to Sri Lanka (Maximum of SLR 100,000)
- You are required to upload your images on this website www.birds-i-view.escondite.lk.
- Images should not be larger than 5MB at the time of entry. Photo submissions may be
horizontally or vertically oriented, and should be at least 1024 pixels along the long
- Higher resolution files of at least 240 dpi/ppi will be requested should an entry
be pre-selected to be awarded a prize or an honorable mention. All photographs should
accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared.
- Entries may originate in any format - including, but not limited to digital files,
digital prints, color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints - so long
they are submitted electronically in a .JPEG .jpg, or.png form. Multiple exposures that
been combined to produce a single "High Dynamic Range" image are acceptable.
- Entries should include metadata if at all possible. Caption information should
Location, City, State/Province, Detailed caption of subject matter
- Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be
entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license. You must be able
disclose when and where the photo appeared previously upon request.
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for
obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to
copies of those upon request.
The following submissions are ineligible:
- Images of captive birds photographed in Zoos and commercial game farms.
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person's rights, including but not
limited to copyright.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other
objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife, or damage to the
environment by the photographer.
- Images that involve putting any individual or bird in danger.
- Birds-i-view shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute
- Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of
dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be
- Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be emailed to
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Submitting photos is free - there is no charge to enter.
- The contest is open to overseas Nationals & Sri Lankans residing overseas &
visiting the island between July 2016 and August 2017.Proof of such visit will have to
attached along with your photo.
- Each participant is allowed to submit a maximum of 3 bird photographs.
- The Bird Photography Contest begins July 2016, and ends February 15, 2017, at 11:59
PM Pacific Standard Time (PST).
- All photos must be original; you may only enter photographs that you took and for
which you own the copyright.
- You will keep the copyright of your submitted photos at all times, and Birds-i-view
will not own the copyright to your photos.
- By submitting a photo, you give Birds-i-view permanent, non-exclusive, royalty-free
permission to display your submitted photo on the website, social media accounts, and in
content associated with this contest.
- Birds-i-view reserves the right to crop photos and to alter photo titles and
descriptions. Images must not include a border. If an image includes a border, we
the right to crop the border. A subtle watermark in the corner of the image is
but we reserve the right to crop photos, which may remove a watermark.
- Digitally manipulating photos (i.e. cloning, compositing, etc.) should be kept to a
minimum. Your photograph must authentically depict the setting as you saw it when you
- Birds-i-view reserves the right to reject any additional entries or entries that do
not comply with these Official Rules. By entering, you indicate your unconditional
to, and acceptance of, these Official Rules and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and
binding. You cannot win a prize unless you comply with all requirements in these
- Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return
an affidavit of eligibility, including proof of age, and liability/publicity release
14 days. If a potential winner is a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian will be
to sign the documents on his/her behalf. If a potential winner fails to return these
documents on time, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place.